A number of moves take place in any football team offseason. After a disappointing defensive performance this year coach Tuberville is moving and shaking the coaching staff.
The Bearcats have promoted cornerbacks coach Steve Clinkscale to defensive coordinator, brought in former Auburn director of player development Kenny Ingram to be the UC defensive tackles coach, and brought in former TCU grad assistant Ty Linder as UC’s special teams coach.
Let’s review the background of your new defensive coordinator.
Steve Clinkscale is a native of Youngstown, Ohio. He began his football life as a four-year starter and a team captain at Ashland. He played in the 2000 Division II all-star game. He earned his bachelor’s degree in sports science in 2000.
Clinkscale’s 14 years of coaching experience is as follows:
- Seven years at Ashland University as secondary coach and linebackers coach.
- One year at Western Carolina as academic liaison working with cornerbacks.
- Three years at Toledo as the cornerbacks coach and special teams coordinator.
- One year as cornerbacks coach at Illinois.
- He joined UC in February of 2013 as the cornerbacks coach.
It remains to be seen how the UC defense will perform next year. Since the promotion is in-house, we do not expect any significant system changes. Hopefully the defense picks up where it left off towards the end of the season after improving each and every game.
By Andy Smith