Big things are happening inside Fifth Third Arena right now. The construction process for the new and improved arena, overseen by Skanska, began in March 2016 and will be finished by November 2018. The past four months of renovations have been right on schedule. Here is an overview of what fans can expect:
- The biggest change we will see when the Bearcats return to their new home is the seating arrangements. All four corners will be taken out and the arena will have a 360 degree dome shape with seating circling the court.
- There will be a standing room capacity of 12,000 fans.
- New HD scoreboards with sound systems and LED lighting are being added to upgrade the viewing experience.
- New restrooms and concessions will be renovated.
- A new and improved Bearcats Lounge will be added.
- Four new super suites will be added, along with twelve clubs and four new courtside bars that fans will be able to enjoy during home games.
- The players will also be excited to see brand new locker rooms when the construction is over.
- The new entrance of Fifth Third will be an open area with centralized ticket and guest services, and the famous Oscar statue will be moved from its current location in front of Lindner Athletics Center to the main entrance of the arena.
Students, athletes, and Bearcats fans are extremely eager to set foot into the new home for the legendary teams who spend countless hours inside the walls of this arena. November of 2018 cannot come soon enough.
By Taylor D’Ambrosia
For more updates, including recruiting information and summer updates, follow along on Twitter – @BearcatsRadio.