Prior to the pandemic subsuming all economic activity and movement, Tom Gelehrter (aka “Tommy G”) and I sat down (socially distanced) to discuss his experience working as the Senior Director of New Media and Broadcasting at the University of Cincinnati from August of 2006 through May of 2015, the launch of his business – 4th Floor Creative, and his life as the play-by-play voice for the MLS’s FC Cincinnati squad. The far-ranging interview touched on a lot of topics that should interest Bearcats and FC Cincy fans alike. We discussed, among other things, the following topics:
- Key coaching departures that occurred during his time with the Bearcats (Mark Dantonio to Michigan State, Brian Kelly to Notre Dame, and Butch Jones to Tennessee) and interacting with those coaches in their final days (even interviewing Brian Kelly after he learned BK had privately decided to leave);
- The incredible growth of the basketball program under Coach Mick Cronin from a team of four players (including a football player, Hurricane Katrina transfer, walk-on, and one scholarship player) to UC’s Sweet 16 appearance against Ohio State in 2012;
- Gary Clark and Cane Broome crashing his oldest son’s – Sully’s – 5th birthday party;
- His fondest memory of watching UC’s Josh Schneider win a national championship in the 50M Freestyle;
- Launching his business, 4th Floor Creative, and developing shingles during the stress of his early years;
- The exponential growth trajectory of FC Cincinnati, the MLS, and professional soccer in the city of Cincinnati; and
- The many friendships and relationships he’s developed through the years, including people like Mick Cronin, Connor Barwin, Gary Clark, Mike Waddell, Jeff Berding, Terry Nelson, Butch Jones, and Kevin McCloskey.
How to Listen:
For your listening pleasure, here are some links for listening…
Apple Podcast: Click HERE.
Spotify Podcast: Click HERE.
Table of Contents:
So you have an idea of the episode’s progression, the table of contents, for lack of a better description, is functionally (i) Roadmap: 2:05, (ii) Literary Moment: 3:05, (iii) Tommy G Interview: 7:20, (iv) Nation Kitchen & Bar/GoFundMe: 26:00, and (v) Grant Patrick Sign-Off: 1:03:37. I hope you enjoy and it’s a comfort during these trying times.
4th Floor and Nation:
If you’d like to learn more about Tommy G’s business – 4th Floor Creative – you can head to their website at http://www.4thFloorCreative.com, or follow them on Twitter at @4thFlCreative.
If you’re interested in delicious carry out food, head to Nation Kitchen and Bar, which is located at 1200 Broadway Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202. You can also find them online at http://www.NationKitchenandBar.com. If you’re interested in donating, the charity referenced during the episode can be found here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/hickory-wald-staff-relief-fund.
To lift up your spirits, here’s the Gary Clark picture I referenced during the episode. He paused his hoverboard journey down Calhoun after he saw me and posed for a pic with my kids. Gary was such an exceptional person and Bearcat.
As a final word, I hope all of you and your families stay safe and healthy. I love you all and am incredibly grateful for the Bearcats family that continues to grow and make a difference. Take care. -B. Fox